- Simply email up to 5 images of work, preferably of work proposed to be included in the exhibition (or, if you haven't made it yet, images of recent work).
- Provide an exhibiting cv and an indication of the preferred gallery/galleries along with dates (we suggest you provide optional dates and gallery preference as schedules below show only confirmed exhibitions).
- If it's a group exhibition, provide a short exhibition statement/proposal along with details of all proposed artists.
Package Deals, 2017
10% discount is offered on total costs of all bookings involving more than one gallery (excludes the Happy School Project Space)
A 20% surcharge is payable for group shows of 3 or more artists
Tacit Contemporary Art offers six ‘traditional’ galleries plus the Happy School and Peter Mac Project Spaces, two display windows onto Johnston Street and a fully-staffed venue during standard opening hours. Our hours are 11am-6pm, Wed-Fri: 11am-5pm, Sat-Sun.
For simplicity sake, Galleries 1, 4 & 5 are priced the same - $500 per week. Each offers more than 20 linear metres, with G1 the largest at 22.3 metres and includes the window onto Johnston Street. With its raised floor and low ceiling, G1 is the more intimate of the three galleries - G4 & G5 each offer 3 metre high walls and large, open spaces emphasising the grandeur of the premises.
Galleries 2 & 3 are also priced the same - $350 per week - and whilst similar in size to each other (13.5 metres), are very different in look and feel.
Surprisingly intimate, G6, our newest gallery, is $450 per week and offers more than 17 linear metres.
The Happy School Project Space is an intimate room of some eight linear metres and is perfect for small works. Its official name is The Happy School Project Space, named after a school in Cambodia the gallery is supporting. Exhibitions are by invitation and/or hire, with the rental of $50 per week donated to ACE (Australia, Cambodia, Education) to support Happy School. In July 2015, we added a second - The Peter Mac Project Space - and slightly larger at 10.6 metres. $80 per week is the charge and all artist rentals is donated to Peter Mac to further cancer research.
Bookings are generally 3 weeks, although we have scheduled 2 x 2 week slots in 2015 and 4 in 2016. (We also offer 3 weeks for the price of 2 between over the Easter period). The Project Space can be for longer, subject to discussion and availability.
We charge a one-off install fee of $280 for G1, G4 & G5: $240 for G6: $150 for G2 & G3: for the Project Spaces, Peter Mac is $75 and Happy School $50. It takes away all the concerns of the hanging, fixing lighting etc. You supply the work, we hang it for you! Drop it off on the Sunday morning before the opening, talk to us about your ideas and by the opening on the Wednesday evening, the exhibition will be ready to go. And what's more, price lists, website, Facebook will have already been done. We also cover the costs of a line listing in Art Almanac.
We design and print your DL invitations for $200 - this price includes the design of the viral version as well as the exhibition catalogue. A nominal charge is made to the Project Spaces of $75 (Peter Mac) and $50 for Happy School. We will also design, free of charge, any display advertising you may want to book.
A final payment of $180 is payable for opening night, which covers alcohol and soft drink costs (up to an agreed amount), bar staff, glasses, set up and clearance. You are responsible for the supply of any food. Openings take place on the first Wednesday of every exhibition and run from 6.30 - 8pm (free street parking is available outside the door). All exhibitions in the gallery open the same night. The Happy School Project Space exhibitors pay $50, Peter Mac $75.
So from the addition of all those figures, a 3-week exhibition in G1, G4 or G5 will cost $2,160. In G6, $1,970, and G2 and G3, $1,590. The Project Spaces will cost a mere $600 and $300 respectively. And, if looking for something less, the 4 scheduled 2-week exhibitions in 2016 will cost $1,660, $1,520, $1,230, $490 and $250.
We'll look after the exhibition for you from there on in, dealing with all enquiries and sales. Tacit Contemporary Art takes 20% commission. Your details as an artist and information regarding the exhibition at the gallery remain on our website. This has, in the past, solicited further enquiry and sales regarding exhibitions long after they have gone.
We offer discounts for package bookings of 10%, but a 20% surcharge is payable for group shows of 3 or more artists.
2016 2016 2015
2015 2014 2014
2013 2013 2014
- Exclusive exhibition in the specific gallery for duration of the hire period
- Curation, installation and hanging of exhibition (Sunday prior to launch night)
- Staffing of exhibition and gallery during standard opening hours (11am - 6pm, Wednesday-Friday: 11am - 5pm, Saturday-Sunday)
- Staffing on opening launch night
- Catering costs of launch including staffing, glassware, wine and soft drinks
- Line listing in Art Almanac
- Print of launch invitation and flyer
- Viral distribution of DL invitation to extensive mailing list
- Home Page promotion on Tacit website along with bespoke exhibition page and artist page
- Facebook promotion
- Dealing with all sales and enquiries related to the exhibition
- Transportation of works to and from the gallery
- Insurance of artworks
- Display advertising (gallery will design layout of magazine and newspaper advertising free of charge)
- Distribution of launch invitation and flyer
- Restoration of space to pre-exhibition level
- Design/print of promotional collateral other than outlined above (service offered at extra cost)
Terms and conditions:
- Exhibitions run from Wed-Sun including the launch night on the first Wednesday of the first week’s hire
- Work to be pinned must be agreed in advance. Blu-Tac is not acceptable as the sole hanging method.
- All worked must be ready to hang to the system installed in the gallery - including wires and D-hooks on the back of works. Where the work is small and/or exceptionally light, please provide Command 3M Poster Strips (available from Bunnings or Officeworks) rather than spend time screwing hooks into the back of the frames!
- Work to be exhibited must have been created no less than 2 years prior to the opening of the exhibition unless agreed in advance. We are not a gallery where 'dusting off works sitting in the shed for a number of years' is encouraged. Exceptions are few and far between but we do accept an exhibition where older work may be a key piece to the current aesthetic.
- Final decision of hanging and inclusion/exclusion of artwork remains with Tacit Contemporary Art.
- A non-refundable deposit of $500 and payable on confirmation of booking with full settlement due 60 days prior to the opening of the exhibition.
- Group exhibitions count as one booking - we do not divide walls for individual artists in advance of the installation. A single title for the exhibition is required and whilst Tacit Contemporary Art will divide invoices, overall costs are the responsibility of the exhibiting artists (eg if there are 6 artists involved in the original booking but one drops out, the remaining 5 are responsible for the full costs)
- A commission of 20% is taken by Tacit Contemporary Art on all sales